Spring 2022 CIPhER seminars will only be offered via Zoom.
12:00-1:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 12, 2022, Via Zoom
The program will explore patients’ (and clinicians’) cognitive and social factors that can influence the clinical interaction. Patients do not enter a consultation or examination room with a clean slate or a perfectly open mind, nor do clinicians. They bring cognitive ‘baggage’, in the form of memory limitations, inefficient decision making, stereotypes, belief in misinformation, personal goals that are usually ill-defined, uncertain ability to project into the future, and irrational behaviors. But these are not necessarily problems for the clinician; instead, they simply represent how people work, and if understood can affect how the patient and clinicians interact to find common ground. This seminar’s emphasis on cognition and social cognition is intended to lead to improved interpersonal relationships and awareness of biases that subtly affect behavior.
Learning Objectives: At the end of this program, participatns will be able to:
- Describe common biases and limitations that affect patient decision making
- Identify their own cognitive and social tendencies that affect the patient interview and treatment decisions
- Outline ways to use these sources of knowledge to improve interactions with patients and, ultimately, health outcomes
Target Audience: This program is designed for all faculty, staff, preceptors and trainees who work (currently or in the future) in a patient setting.
Registration: For non-UNC affiliates, registration is $15.00. (UNC Affiliates are considered to be faculty, staff, trainees, students, preceptors and residents who currently work for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill or support its students.)
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Friday, January 7, at 5 p.m.
The University Of North Carolina Eshelman School Of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. ACPE program 0046-9999-22-017-L04-P provides 1.0 contact hour of continuing pharmacy education credit. To receive CE credit, participants must sign-in upon arrival (in class or online), attend the entire program and complete the evaluation within 60 days of the program date (included in LECE which will open after the workshop). Statements of credit can be viewed and printed in CPE Monitor in approximately 2 to 3 weeks. **No partial credit will be available**
Robert Hubal, PhD, Research Associate Professor, UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
Robert Hubal, a cognitive scientist, has general interest in the intelligent use of technology to better train and assess knowledge and skills. He is active in projects involving areas such as adaptive learning, linguistic analysis, behavior modeling, and machine learning. He has past experience developing embodied conversational agents for interaction skills training and situated assessment; conducting cost-effectiveness studies of simulation training systems; conducting expertise, linguistic codability, and mental modeling studies; investigating adaptive intelligent tutoring; implementing patterns of life into the portrayal of activity within game-based environments; and investigating visual analytics and representation
- A Zoom link will be provided prior to the program via a confirmation email. If you attend remotely via Zoom with a group, please email email@example.com with the names of the attendees. To receive CE credit, you must be registered for the program and we must be able to tie your registration to your Zoom login. If your Zoom login is different from your name, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
- Registration: Non-UNC Affiliates are required to pay a fee of $15 to attend and earn CE credit. When registering, you will be directed to a separate system for security purposes. Please select "OK" to be transered to the payment site and complete your registration. Be sure the zip code associated with your credit card's billing address matches the zip code in your account. If your registration is successful, you will be returned to this page and will see a note stating "You are registered for this program." If you receive a blank screen, your registration and payment were not successful.
- CE: Participants requesting CE have 60 days from the program date to claim CE crediit and verify credit has been uploaded to your CPE monitor account.
By registering you are automatically agreeing to:
1. Grant the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (the “University”) the irrevocable right and permission to use photographs and/or video recordings of me on University and other websites and in publications, promotional fliers, educational materials, derivative works, or for any other similar purpose without compensation to me.
2. Agreeing that such photographs and/or video recordings of me may be placed on the Internet. Understanding and agreeing that I may be identified by name and/or title in printed, internet or broadcast information that might accompany the photographs and/or video recordings of me. Waiving the right to approve the final product. Agreeing that all such portraits, pictures, photographs, video and audio recordings, and any reproductions thereof, and all plates, negatives, recording tape and digital files are and shall remain the property of the University.
3. Releasing, acquitting and forever discharging the State of North Carolina, the University, its current and former trustees, agents, officers and employees of the above-named entities from any and all claims, demands, rights, promises, damages and liabilities arising out of or in connection with the use or distribution of said photographs and/or video recordings, including but not limited to any claims for invasion of privacy, appropriation of likeness or defamation.
If you wish to decline this permission please contact – email@example.com.
Date: Jan 12, 2022 12:00 PM - 01:00 PM
Registration closes on Jan 07, 2022 05:00 PM
Please choose a Fee Type from the Drop Down Menu Below:I am a
Registration closes on Jan 07, 2022
at 05:00 PM
Registration closes on Jan 07, 2022 at 05:00 PM
Time: 12:00 PM - 01:00 PM